I took on one of the recipes from Patak's - the Apricot Chicken - Indian Style (Khubani Murgh) and I think it came out just right and it got a big thumbs up too!
RECIPE: Apricot Chicken (Khubani Murgh)
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp (2g) Cumin seeds
200g onions, chopped
450g chicken, diced
8 tbsp (125g) Patak's Balti Curry Paste
200g canned chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp (60g) single cream
150g dried apricots, chopped
2 tsp (10g) fresh coriander, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp (5g) sugar
- Heat the oil in a pan, crackle cumin seeds for 1 minute and add chopped onions and cook on a medium heat until the onions are soft and golden brown in colour.
- Add the Patak's Balti Paste and 100ml water and cook on simmer until all the water has evaporated.
- Add diced chicken and apricot and cook on high heat until the chicken is seared and add chopped tomatoes and the rest of the water.
- Cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked. Stir in the cream and sugar.
- Check the seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve with rice and naan bread.
Like the difficulty rating, I would have to agree that this was a very easy to make recipe. It's a definite recommendation if you love a curry, but on't like it too hot. It helps if you're a fan of apricots too as it's a very noticeable and dominant part of the recipe.